8 Foot Robot Cat
KATashTrophe, the 8 Foot Robot Cat, lives, now on radio control, and ready for gigs! She weighing in at 200 Kg. She is the latest addition to the Diamond Dust Roadshow. The new robot is intended for larger shows, promotions and order children. She is based on a Sabre toothed tiger. I’ve recently added more features to the KATT, including radio control. Currently the robot dog Mascot is “borrowing” the system and trying out how it responds. So far so good. The Utube video of the KATT.
The aim of the KATT is to entertain, educate and inspire.
Martin’s creation has been seen at PC World, Morfa Park Swansea; Maplin Electronic Store, Llansamlet, Swansea; outdoor events in Carmarthen and the Amman Valley, a street in Llandrindod Wells, even a beach visit at Langland Bay, Gower. The favourite visiting place as definitely had been Margam. KATashTrophe, the Eight Foot Robot Cat, makes a regular annual visit to Margam Castle, where she joins in the Heroes and Legends Weekend in August. In 2016 she returned to the event in July.
The KATT is getting involved in education. Martin Thompson has become a Stem Ambassador.
August saw the KATT make an appearance at the National Waterfront Museum for the British Science Festival Week. This event was run by Swansea University. There were over 2 thousand visitors. The KATT was probability one of the most unusual attraction to this event. This is the first event I have covered as a Science Ambassador for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). The KATT is currently making school visits which aim to entertain, educate and inspire children and young people with science.
There is some interest from the Arkwright Scholarship Trust which is a charity whose aim is to inspire engineers of the future.
The Eight Foot Robot Cat has an audio track, can accompany, the experience, and introduces the nine lives or nine programme personalities:
- Ghost, who is the ghost in the machine.
- Na-Nim-In-Atorr, or narrator or storyteller.
- Mad-Pusss, the mad hungry cat.
- DJ Katt, trendy rock DJ personality.
- Tasha is a diva who loves mobile phones.
- Mrs McKitty, a dear, polite older lady who loves a nice cup of tea.
- Dr Fee-Line is a fan of relaxation and exercise.
- A mystery guest…
- Troll–Lee, hidden personality
The KATT Kadets are the volunteers from the audience who take part in this interactive show or play.
The show can have educational aspects and have a follow up activity in the form of our Activity Booklet aimed at Key Stage level 2 and 3; but can be used at level 4. It contains a mixture of colouring sheets, word searches and more. I hope you like it.
Find these hidden words and phases : Sabre toothed tiger, Claw, Arm, Whiskers, Motors, Casters, Batteries, Lap top, Amplifier, Mobile phone, Mascot, KATashTrophe. Isaac’s Asimov, the famous science fiction author in 1942, devised the Three Laws of Robotics, which are:
- A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
- A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
The Diamond Dust booklet also includes nine questions:
- What is KATT short for?
- How many casters does the KATT have?
- What animal is the robot based on?
- What animal is flying above the KATT?
- What animal is attached to the KATT’s claw?
- Why does the KATT need ramps to go in and out of the van?
- Who had the idea to build the robot cat and dog?
- What did you like about the KATT and why?
- How would you improve the KATT?
If you can think of any way I can improve this new page, please let me know via the contact form on the Home Page.